A Japanese term which literally means “place of the way”
- The Club Instructor is Tim Shaw Sensei, 7th Dan.
- Run under the authority of F. Sugasawa Sensei, 7th Dan Renshi.
- Shikukai Chelmsford is part of the Shikukai Karate-Do International.
- The club was founded in 1993 by Tim Shaw.
- A well-established Dojos in the Chelmsford area.
A Dojo of enthusiastic and dedicated Wado Ryu practitioners.
Located in Essex, UK.
“We welcome anyone interested in training hard and developing their understanding and ability.
This dojo is dedicated to the technique and philosophy as taught by the founder of Wado Ryu Karate-Do Ohtsuka Hironori. Through his legacy, we as its inheritors, all work towards the truest and purest form of Wado Ryu. We are continually exploring this unique and distinct branch of Japanese Budo.
You are always welcome to join us.”
Tim Shaw Sensei , 7th Dan.
All training is conducted directly under the guidance of Sensei Tim Shaw 7th Dan and overseen by our organisation’s guiding light F. Sugasawa Sensei 7th Dan Renshi.
- We are currently restructuring and negotiating a new location for the Chelmsford area. Our Thursday Dojo is currently at the Woodham Walter location.
- Woodham Walter Dojo – A club for Juniors held on a Tuesday afternoon by Sue Dodd Sensei 2nd Dan.
1938 Foundation of Wado Ryu Karate-Do by Ohtsuka Hironori.
1952 A Wado Ryu Honbu Dojo established at Meiji University Tokyo.
1965 Suzuki Tatsuo settles in the UK and forms the UKKF (later UKKW).
1978 Sugasawa Sensei arrives in the UK.
1980 Political and legal split between Ohtsuka Sensei and Wado Kai officials.
1981 Ohtsuka Sensei founds the Wado Ryu Karate-Do Renmei.
1982 Ohtsuka Hironori passes away. His son head of Wado Ryu and takes his father’s name to become Hironori Ohtsuka II.
1989 Shikukai founded by Sugasawa Sensei. Operating under the umbrella of the Wado Academy and allied to the Wado Ryu Renmei.
1993 Chelmsford Club Founded.
2006 Shikukai Karate-Do International becomes an independent organisation.
2015 Ohtsuka Hironori II passes away and authority is passed to his son, Ohtsuka Kazutaka (Ohtsuka Hironori III).
Please feel free to contact us with any comments, views or opinions.